Monday, February 25, 2008

Another Birthday!

Wow! Where does the time go? Sunday we celebrated Carter's 9th birthday. Every year as we celebrate I can't help but take myself back to the moment Carter was born. The memory is still so clear in my mind, as if it were just yesterday. Our journey of the unknown started the very moment he entered this world in silence. I knew immediately, within the first few minutes of his life, we needed to pray. That was all I could do as I laid there watching the medical staff work on Carter. The next 6 days were an emotional roller coaster but through it all I knew GOD was in control, for HE created Carter and HE knew! Even when the Dr.s had no answer, I had complete peace that Carter was in the hands of the greatest physician, our Lord!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:1-18

Now onto February 24, 2008......After church we met family for dinner. We told Carter we would go where he wanted and I have to say his choice of restaurant surprised us...but that's what we love about Carter. It doesn't matter what others think, if he likes it, then that's all that counts. We ate at the Elephant Bar and then came to the house for cake and presents. Once again, he picked out his cake, and was it something that any of us would pick? Probably not. Did it fit the occasion?? Not really. (unless your birthday was in July maybe) But that is okay! Carter wanted the American flag on his cake and that is what he got. He was thrilled!! He then opened presents and I think his favorite was the human body book. He loves learning about the body.

Looking back on this day I really learned something from Carter. I admire him for being able to do what he wants no matter how different it may be or knowing others may think it's odd. How I wish I had more of that in me. I thank the Lord for him every day and am so grateful to see how far Carter has come.

Oh...one more thing. Why did I type in green?? It's Carter's favorite color!

No comments: